5/12/16 – Script Planning
After we had decided on a story treatment as a group for the trailer, we had started to come up with ideas as to what the script should contain. I began to write up the trailer, whilst talking with the rest of my group in order to put in what everyone wanted to see in the trailer such as various camera angles, dialog and what the scenes in the edit should look like.
Day 1 09/01/2017 – Night shoot 4PM-6PM
Before we had gone to the location in Kingston, I went to get the equipment from College and then carried it to the location, to where our actors had met up with us. We then walked as a group to Canbury Gardens in Kingston to set up the equipment in order for us to start shooting.
On this shoot day, I was in charge of the lighting as I was making sure I was directing the right amount of light where it was needed in the shot. The director and cameraman gave me directions on where the light needed to be, in order for it to fit in frame correctly. I also helped with deciding on extra shots that will be used as transition shots/location scenes in the trailer such as capturing the tree branches.
At the end of the shoot, I made sure all the footage that was shot on the day was transferred from the memory card inside the camera to my own computer, which I also backed up . I then ran through the footage to make sure if there was any scenes that needed to be re-shot on another day. Although we had aimed to shoot the majority of the night scenes for the trailer, due to the rainy and cold weather , we had agreed as a group to shoot during the day on the 14th of January to make sure we can get the rest of the scenes needed for the trailer.
Day 2 14/01/2017- Day Shoot 12PM-3PM
Transferred footage from memory card
input on camera angles
On the second day filming, I brought the filming equipment to our filming location at Canbury Gardens. Along with my group I helped set up the camera and tripod in order to be ready to film. As we had no LED light, I had input on what camera angles we could use for the scene. When we had finished filming I had transferred all the footage (that we had got on the day to my computer) from the cameras memory card, I then checked through the footage and made sure all of the audio was good and that we had shot everything that we needed to.
Day 1 of filming : Rushes
Day 2 of filming : Rushes
I used Adobe After Effects to edit part of the footage together. When I began editing the middle and end sequence of the trailer, I had imported all of the rushes from the second day of filming into after effects and then went through them to see which take of each scene was the best.
I looked at the script and talked to my group as to what scenes are best for the trailer, and then put together the scenes that we had filmed. I did put some of the scenes ‘out of order’ from the script ,because in movie trailers, the scenes that are shown are normally in non-sequential order.
Black and white filter– Changes the colour of the scenes to black and white to get the Film Noir look of the trailer.
Flash to white – This is put on the selected scenes to give the impression of a camera flash to show comparisons in the two female victims injuries.
Fade to black– This is also put onto selected scenes to make them either start from black and then fade to the scene or the other way around to show a scene has ended.
Split– I used this technique during the end running sequence to have a pause in between the scene , to add more tension towards the end of the trailer when the shots are becoming faster.
To get the audio, Vickie helped by choosing various links to royalty free music which were of the action/suspense genre. She gave me a general overview of each track, and which ones were the best suited for the trailer, from that we chose two tracks to use throughout the trailer.
We chose ‘Spy Story’, and ‘Lusus Naturae’. In after effects I imported both tracks and then placed ‘Lusus Naturae’ at the beginning and at the end of the trailer as it builds tension smoothly, which suited the running scenes to make sure the user is engaged from the start. The track also mimics the viewers heartbeat due to its quickening tempo which is great for building atmosphere and tension.
To fade the tracks I used two keyframes at the begging and at the end of each audio track. I set one keyframe to -45db to mute the track, and then another and set it to 0db to gradually increase the volume gradually.
These are the indents that are featured in the trailer. Georgie and Vickie had made them using Photoshop, and then I had imported them into the After Effects file. To make the trailer as real as possible, we decided as a group to put some reviews in the trailer in order to create more buzz so it could build more audience awareness. In After Effects I used the transform scale to make the indents zoom in and out to create dramatic effect by adjusting its value, and the creating a keyframe to save its scale value. I added ‘Easy Ease’ to make sure the values change